Sion Advogados’s team has more than thirty excellent lawyers and consultants acting to deliver only the highest quality counsel as well as the most efficient and innovative services in order to steadily advance client goals. The firm’s commitment to creating and sustaining a diverse work environment is absolute. Our team is composed of the most talented lawyers in the industry, works on an integrated business model, improving the supply and quality of services. Sion Advogados team is committed to helping you succeed. We work with individuals, organizations, and businesses of all sizes. We’ll help you prioritize your objectives and we’ll keep those objectives in mind by taking a practical and experienced approach to the solutions we pursue in collaboration with you.
Alexandre Oheb Sion
Founding partner of Sion Advogados
Post-Doctorate in Law at University of Salamanca, Spain. Doctorate and Masters in Law candidate at Universidade Autônoma de Lisboa, Portugal (credits performed). Master’s degree in International Commercial Law (L.LM) at University of California, United States. Expert in Constitutional Law, Civil Law, and Civil Procedure Law at FGV (Fundação Getúlio Vargas). Lawyer graduated in Law and in Business Administration. Professional with strong background in supporting the implementation and operation of large capital intensive and infrastructure projects in Brazil.
- He was a legal counsel (2001 to 2011) at Vale, MMX and Anglo American, performing in the last two executive functions in the legal area. In the past years, he was the Chief Counsel of Regulatory Affairs at the Anglo American Group in Brazil.
- Vice-Chair of the Brazilian Union for Environmental Advocacy – UBAA.
- Consultant Member of the National Committee for Environmental Law of Brazilian Bar Association (OAB) – Federal Counsel.
- Chair of the Infrastructure Law Committee of Brazilian Bar Association/State of Minas Gerais (OAB/MG).
- Former Coordinator of the Legal Work Group at Sindiextra – Minas Gerais State Mining Industry Union.
- Former member of the Legal Committee at Ibram – Brazilian Mining Institute.
- Member of Environmental Law, Energy Law, Mining Law, Arbitration and Mediation, Construction and Corporate Law (2010-2012) Committees of OAB/MG.
- Member of the Infrastructure, Logistics and Sustainable Development Committee of Brazilian Bar Association – State of São Paulo (OAB/SP).
- Effective Member of Permanent Committee of Environment of Brazilian Bar Association – State of São Paulo (OAB/SP).
- Member of Anti-corruption and Compliance Committee of Brazilian Bar Association – State of Rio de Janeiro (OAB/RJ).
- Member of Infrastructure and Construction National Committee of CAMARB – Mediation and Corporate Arbitration Chamber.
Arbitrator at CAMES – Chamber of Mediation and Specialized Arbitration.
- Performed as lawyer in several arbitration procedures alongside other law firms. Arbitrator of several editions of Brazilian Competition of Arbitration Petrônio Muniz.
- Member of the Environmental Committee of the Federation of Industries of the State of Minas Gerais (FIEMG) (2010-2012).
- Professor at PUC/MG, IDP/SP, CAD, Milton Campos and Arnaldo Universities. Law School Professor for Undergraduate and Graduate programs since 2004. Active lecturer in different capitals. Author and Co-Author of several books and more than a hundred of papers.
- Alexandre Sion and Sion Advogados are among the most admired lawyers and law firms in Brazil, according to the publications Chambers Global, in 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015; Chambers Latin America, in 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015 and 2014; Análise Advocacia 500, years 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014 and 2012; The Legal 500, years 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015; Who’s Who Legal, 2018 and 2017; IFLR1000, 2017; Leaders League 2018 and Best Lawyers, years 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015.
Bernardo Barbosa Pimentel Pessoa
Partner at Sion Advogados
Head of the Strategic Litigation, Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions and Real Estate departments. Lawyer acting for more than a decade in legal advisory of large national and foreign companies, on structuring and supporting the implementation and operation of large capital intensive and infrastructure projects, besides M&A in the mining, oil and gas, infrastructure, logistic, energy and real estate segments. Specialist in corporate law, capital markets and contracts in both consultancy and litigation in judicial and arbitration procedures.
- Member of Energy Law Committee of Brazilian Bar Association/State of Minas Gerais (OAB/MG).
- Member of Arbitration Committee of Brazilian Bar Association/State of Minas Gerais (OAB/MG).
- Member of infrastructure works Committee of Brazilian Bar Association/State of Minas Gerais (OAB/MG).
Consultant - Head of Tax Department
LL.M in International Business Law from the University of California, LL.M in Tax Law from the Brazilian Institute of Capital Markets – IBMEC / SP, MBA in Business Law from Fundação Getúlio Vargas – FGV and specialization in Mediation by PUC-SP. Professional with significant experience in the consulting and tax and tax litigation, in foreign trade, in the conduct of foreign loans, investments and reinvestments. Lawyer registered in SP, RJ and MG.
Lawyer, Master in Geosciences at the University of Campinas. Specialization in Mineral Law. Professional with significant experience with more than 40 years of experience in the monitoring of mining processes, with special emphasis on CFEM; preparation of legal reports, due diligence and contracts; consultancies involving legal aspects of mining related to urban, real estate and land law. Participation in complex negotiations with landowners, squatters, garimpeiros, nongovernmental organizations and public agents, as well as guidance on the registration of companies in the sector and activities in the border area.
Geologist graduated from the University of Brasilia in 1983. He worked for 25 years at Votorantim Metais,in Health and Safety, Social Responsibility and Institutional Relations areas. Experience of 27 years in environmental management, crisis management and as Spokesperson. In 2011 it took over the General Management of Sustainability of Votorantim Metais, with the mission of implementing a sustainability strategy for all Votorantim Metais Units, taking the company to the title of “Most Sustainable Company of the Year” in the Mining Sector, by Guia Exame Sustainability Report of 2014.
Maria Rita Zampieri
Environmental engineer, graduated at UNIPINHAL, postgraduate in Environmental Expertise and Audit by the Institute of Technological Research at IPT and Master in Geosciences and Environment at UNESP. Audit leader in management systems according to OHSAS 18.001, ISO 9.001 and ISO 14.001 standards. She was sustainability manager in the auditing and strategic consulting sector for industries in general, mining, energy, services and agribusiness. She has extensive experience in the implementation and maintenance of management systems, environmental law and social responsibility, acting in audits, due diligence, supplier evaluation, management systems, diagnosis, legal compliance, as well as the elaboration of environmental planning, pollution control , analysis, evaluation and preparation of technical studies for social and environmental impacts of public and private enterprises, environmental licensing, risk management, evaluation and verification of environmental impacts for financing and tax incentives, evaluation of environmental liabilities, evaluation of internal controls of environmental processes financial statements. In addition, it coordinates and technically participates in the preparation of integrated solid waste management plans. She is also a professor of the undergraduate course in Environmental Engineering at UNIPINHAL and in the postgraduate course in Solid Waste Management at SENAC.